Living life together

We are so excited to share with you everything God is doing in Tanzania as well as hear what he is doing in your lives! Thank you for partnering with us in God's work all around the world!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Learning Maasai

I have been working with several different tutors and it is coming slowly but surely.  It is really fun talking with the men.  They always laugh which is right up my alley because as far as I'm concerned any attention is good attention.  Which is where I found myself today.  The maasai sometimes refer to themselves not as their first name, but as the father of their children.  The word for Father is, "Menye".  So, I was trying to tell a man I had just met, in front of a whole bunch of Maasai young men, "I am Menye Hannah."  Instead, I said, "I am Mwenye Hannah."  You know how sometimes people have a huge gap in between their teeth if their teeth come in funny?  Well, the Maasai have a word for this.  It is ironically close to the word for Father.  So, I told all the maasai men my name is "the gap inbetween your front two teeth - Hannah". 

1 comment: