Living life together

We are so excited to share with you everything God is doing in Tanzania as well as hear what he is doing in your lives! Thank you for partnering with us in God's work all around the world!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Hope in one hand

               Every once in a while when I was growing up, things wouldn’t go my way and I would start to whine.  I would say, “I wish I didn’t have to clean my room” or “I wish I didn’t have to pay for my own gas in my car.”  My older brother loved these occurrences because he would have an opportunity to one of his favorite colloquialisms.  I would I wish and wish and wish and he would turn to me and say, “Wish in one hand and poop in the other.  See which one fills up quicker.” 

               Why, you may ask, would I relay this ridiculous sampling of an American Proverb?  Because I was teaching my literacy class last week and just frustrated.  I was frustrated with the students, frustrated with the Engikaret base for not having a place for us to regularly meet in class, always shifting around, which leads the students not to take things seriously and therefore not showing up to class at all, let alone on time.  I was frustrated with myself, feeling like there was more I should be doing to entice and entertain my students so they would be more willing and invested in coming to class.  I started making those I wish statements again.  “I wish…I wish…I just wish…” when I saw a little bald, dusty Maasai girl’s head pop to the class for a peak.  There were only three students that showed up that day and they were busy with their work so I went out to see where she came from and what she wanted.  I found her out the door with one of her friends and both of them were so proud of themselves.  So I asked, “what are you two doing here this morning?”  Out of a little old pouch around their necks, they both pulled out their own beat up, batteryless, cracked and worn cell phones someone must have thrown out.  They held on to them like they were state of the art cell phones.  I asked one of I could see it to look at it.  And she ran off.  I didn’t think much about it until I was back in class and that little bald head popped back in to sneak a peak.  Again, my students were hard at work, so I went out to see what she wanted and this time she had what I thought was the cell phone concealed in both hands so I could look at it.  She placed it in my hand, removed her hands from the top of it, and then took off running as fast as her little legs could carry her.  When I looked down to see the present she brought me, right away I remembered my older brother.  She placed in my hand a huge cow tird!  She thought she was so funny!  Both of the girls rolled around laughing and laughing and I was left with my wishes in one hand and poop in the other.  And I assure you, the wishing hand was not nearly as full as its neighbor. 

               I have been thinking about this for a several days now and thinking about a whole slew of verses that are laced through the Bible about being dissatisfied and not one of them is about wishing. 

“Let us hold unswervingly to the HOPE that we profess, for he who promised is faithful…the widow who is really in need and left alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help…That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people…For what is our hope? Our Joy? Or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes?  Is it not YOU?...Therefore since we have such a hope, we are very bold…

And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produes perseverance, perseverance produces proven character, proven character produces hope.  And hope does not disappoint.” 

               Wishing is a silly, whiny kind of thing to do, but hoping is entirely different.  I wish for the things that I don’t have but that I think that I should.  I hope for the things that I know I will have because, in finishing that verse, “God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”  Wishing in one hand will never fill up as fast as pooping.   But with hope in my hands, hope in the Living God who is savior of all people, well that will never disappoint. 

               This month I have had over 11 students coming to class, mostly men.  Some of them even show up on time!!!  We began a new literacy class in a village an hour and a half northwest of Engikaret called Kaseriani where I now have 22 students!!! In both classes there are old men and young warriors, old grandmas and young mothers, and all are learning to read and write for the first time. 

               Hope in one hand and poop in the other.  See which one fills up faster…

No comments:

Post a Comment