Living life together

We are so excited to share with you everything God is doing in Tanzania as well as hear what he is doing in your lives! Thank you for partnering with us in God's work all around the world!

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lendim Lai

It happened!! I have been spending every day possible in Maasailand lately and really getting to know some of the people out there.  I've felt like we are really becoming friends, but I have always wondered what their perspective of me is.  Do they see me as a friend?  As a teacher?  As a missionary?  As a white guy with money?  I know how I see them, but how do they see me? 
There is one young man that works with us in YWAM ministering to the Maasai.  He himself is not a Maasai, but has a deep passion for them.  He comes from a different tribe, but left his home to come to Engikaret and has been here for almost 5 years now.  He has become almost fluent in Maasai and you can always find him out at the Bomas.  I have begun a new Literacy class about an hour drive past Engikaret and this young man, Elia has been coming with me.  Whenever we go we have about an hour to talk and encourage each other, but I have always seen a huge difference between the two of us.  Wherever we go, every Maasai recognizes him!  They can see the heart he has for them and I have always seen him as a really important example for me.  I want to be a missionary like him.  There is this one thing, though, that I continue to see and hear that I have coveted.  When his dear friends see him, they have a specific way they call him.  They say, Elia Lai.  In Maasai, the way you claim something as your own, you put this word Lai after it.  If you are describing your mom, you say, "Mama Lai", my mama, "Alayuni Lai" my son, "Lalashe Lai" my brother.  I always hear them call to Elia, and they say, "Elia Lai, Elia Lai" My Elia, My Elia!  Oh, every time I hear it, I ask the Lord, when will be the day that I am theirs?  Will they every see me as more than just a missionary passing through, or a westerner with money? 
This week, as we completed our third week of class out in Kaserian, it happened!  It wasn't anything spectacular, it wasn't a profound moment, it was just an everyday, run of the milll, request for a ride, but it happened!! One of my students, as I was getting in the car to go home, called out, "Lendim Lai!"  Lendim is the Maasai word for forest.  I have become known out in Maasailand as Lendim and the moment I heard it, my heart was filled with a feeling of victory, of acceptance, of God's faithfulness.  My Lendim!  Maybe to anyone else this would be no big deal at all, but to me it meant the world.
The Song of Songs says, "I am my beloved's and he is mine".  It is really easy to read that and understand it to be some kind of simply possesive term, but it is so much better than owning or some kind of controlling authority.  It is belonging.  I belong to him.  Just like that old hymn says, "Now I belong to Jesus, Jesus belongs to me.  Not for the years of time alone, but for eternity!"  I belong to Jesus and He belongs to me.  I find my home with him.  I find my worth in him.  I find my place, my portion, my reason for being.  I belong.  I am His Nick and He is my Jesus.  In the same vein, the Maasai belong to me and I belong to them.  I am their friend and they are my friends.  I am their Lendim and I am so very greatful!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you, Nick! Love you, J

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a good moment Nick, really glad you shared, really praying to see you guys again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting! I love how God answers our little prayers and our Big prayers. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete