Living life together

We are so excited to share with you everything God is doing in Tanzania as well as hear what he is doing in your lives! Thank you for partnering with us in God's work all around the world!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Settling in

Nick started DTS today; the girls slept from midnight until 7 which is an improvement so they are almost on Arusha time; i made a meal the girls would eat last night; did the laundry and mopped my concrete floors; all of these things to say we are settling in.  The transition from America to here has been a lot harder than we imagined it to be. We knew it would be different but with the traveling we have done we did not prepare ourselves for the culture shock we would go through once we arrived here as a family.  The first day seemed great as the girls took in their new surroundings and then the next day came.  The girls started realizing they weren't going back to the states and things started unraveling.  Hailey kept putting on her boots and saying "okay I'm ready to go to my house" and I would let her know this is our house and that would lead to her bursting out in tears saying this is not her home.  Then Hannah started noticing that everyone looked at her and realized she looks so different than these other kids. At first she wanted to try and talk to them but after a while she realized that they didn't know what she was saying which resulted in her hiding away in the back room when the kids would come knock to play.  Hailey likes listening to the other children speaking swahili but screams and runs to me when an adult comes near. Everyone loves to try and pick up the girls; make them go with them which has put a fear in them that now makes them not leave my side.  We are not quite sure how to help this but know that time will be the best thing.  We have only been here 5 days and we need to realize it is going to take a lot of time to adjust to being here. 
I have tried to make a couple of meals because the girls are not too happy about eating rice and beans every meal but I have come up with spaghetti and thats about it.  Mama Miracle (our base leader) says she will help me make a good meal for the girls.  We got some fresh fruit and vegetables so tonight she is going to come by and help me make something she believes the girls will enjoy.  The other day she made the girls pancakes and I had not seen the girls eat like that since they have been here. This might be my greatest challenge as a mother.  I am at a loss when it comes to finding things to cook that the girls will enjoy.  Tears came to my eyes when they ate the spaghetti last night. Hannah ate more than I did and slept through the night without waking up hungry. 
Nick started DTS today and is excited about the classes that will begin tomorrow.  As of now he is the only american student but in 3 days 3 more american students will be here; 2 from our church.  The DTS is a lot smaller than usual due to the increase in the visa price. There are only 25 this year as compared to 40 previous times. 



The internet has been off and on so we will try and update as much as possible.  Though this transition has been harder than we expected we are anxious to see what the Lord is going to do here and to really see where our family fits.  It has definately made us rely on him and seek him for direction.  We can't rely on ourselves anymore and we are learning just how much we need Jesus.  Thank you to everyone that has been praying for us!  Hannah made me promise I would let everyone know she prays for you and misses you all! We are so thankful to have so many people supporting us. I cannot tell you how amazing it is to have a community supporting you and loving you through this journey we are on. 

The girls after not sleeping for 2 days

Helping me wash their shoes! They helped with the laundry too
<>
On our walk out to the school. Hailey loved saying "Hujambo" to everyone. Hannah was in our arms

6 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you guys and will be praying that the transition for your family will get smoother and smoother. Love the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just read this out loud so Gracie can hear what is going on with "Nanna" and "buuu" (Bug). Thanks for updating. Praying for you guys. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so close to my heart and always in my prayers. My heart breaks for the girls but God is so faithful and your obedience as children to the most high will result in blessing to your children and your childrens children! I am so excited to watch Gods plan unfold in your lives! Love you all...tell the girls how much I love them and miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom said to tell yout music might help the girls have peace. She used it with us when dad was gone. Singing songs from kids praise together or listing to their CD's some kind of familiar music might help them feel peaceful. Love you! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the Knapp family, we are praying for your family, miss you friend! Can't seem to find the address where you are at can you email it to me? Thanks for the updates and pictures keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete