Living life together

We are so excited to share with you everything God is doing in Tanzania as well as hear what he is doing in your lives! Thank you for partnering with us in God's work all around the world!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Running water

We have not had running water for more than a few hours since December and I guess we have just kind of gotten used to it. The whining and complaining has lessening now to where we haven't really even expected it....until this week. We have had fast, clean water inside our house with really good water pressure. It is like a totally different life and it has kind of left me with a funny, uncomfortable feeling. I thought I would have been overjoyed, but I am weary of it. I have been taking some time to reflect on this and I think the reason I am weary is because I am afraid. I know that my own humanity is prone to discontent and complaint. I know that it is a short road back to grumbling and that makes me frustrated. "Lord, why did you bring such good water? Don't you know this is going to ruin us and make us complain again?". Then, I hear the voice of Jesus saying, "really, Nick?".
The book of II Assumptions says, "it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all". Scholars still disagree as to the authorship, but I think that he might be a close relative of the psalmist as he says,
"Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him! ...Sing to the Lord with grateful praise; make music to our God on the harp. He covers the sky with clouds; he supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills. He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call. His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of the warrior; the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love...He grants peace to your borders and satisfies you with the finest of wheat...Praise the Lord."

It makes sense to me, and even noble to not want to be tempted by luxury, but to go around shouting at the top of my lungs, "get behind me Satan, you snake, you fiend, you running water, you evil siren of the lake!" seems unappreciative. What makes a whole lot more sense is to agree with David in praising the Lord because it is pleasing to Him and fitting to praise Him because He gives us the finest grain and causes the rain to cover the earth. We put our hope in Him and not in grain, rain, or running water. It makes sense to praise Him for the blessings rather than loathing the things He blesses us with lest we should miss out on more reasons to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment